What is printed electronics? It is the combination of electronics and printing technology, using the printing method to replace some or all of the current micro-nano processing technology of silicon-based integrated circuits. Compared to the traditional micro-nano processing, the printing processing has the advantages of large area, flexibility, low cost and environmental protection.
Hence, the fields of printed electronics applications are quite wide, including automotive, packaging, consumer electronics, logistics, lighting, energy, building and architecture, etc. Presently, the applied printed electronics covers display & lighting, smart product, energy and others. The development of LOT requires great demand of various types of sensors and flexible printing electroniccan play an important role. According to the prediction in 2010, the printing electronics market will increase to $ 57 billion by 2019. However, this may be hard to realize judged as the current growth situation.
Here are the reasons for hindering large-scale commercialization:
1. Technology is not mature and the material is less functional; the reliability and longevity of the device is not very good; printing resolution, graphics density and overprint precision is limited.
2. Competition in the existing technology.
3. Industry chain is not yet perfect.
4. Lack of revolutionary products that meet the needs of the market.
China Printed Electronics Industry
Characteristics of China Printed Electronics Industry
1. Lack of the key support at the national level.
2. Industry's interest in print electronics is higher than that of technology.
3. Traditional industries (printing and PCB equipment) are silent instead of action.
4. Printing display will become a breakthrough in the printing electronics industry.
Opportunities for China Printed Electronics Industry
1. IOT needs (trillions of sensors)
2. Wearable electronic needs
3. Personalized manufacturing requirements (3D proofing and digital manufacturing)
4. Industrial transformation and green manufacturing demand
5. Public innovation and entrepreneurship
Printed Electronic Products Made in China
New transparent conductive film produced by O-film has entered the market.
How about the printed electronics industry abroad?
Asia America Printed Electronic Technology Development
In Asia, Korea, Japan, Taiwan are the first to carry out the research and development of printed electronic technology. South Korea in 2012 started the national printing and electronic development plan and established the Korea Printed Electronics Association (KoPEA).Japan in 2011 set up advanced printed electronic technology research association (JAPERA), focusing on application of printing sensors in the LoT. In 2015, Printed OLED Display Alliance (JOLED) was newly established. Take ITRI as the leading, Taiwan mainly develops flexible display technology.
European Printed Electronic Technology Development
Since 2009, "large area of organic and printed electronic international conference and development" has been held every spring in Munich, Germany. International Organic Electronics Association was established in 2004
America Printed Electronic Technology Development
The United States in 2002 set up a flexible technology alliance (Flex Tech Alliance), held annually "FlexTech Conference". FlexTech Alliance receives $75 million department of defense award to create and manage a flexible hybrid facility. Canada has implemented the International Printed Electronics Research Program.