Since I'm new to the forum I probably ask previously answered questions (that I have not found) but I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.
I'm in R&D at a company where we design low volume (1k-10k) fairly complex PCBAs for our products. We do inhouse CAD closely following PCBA suppliers DFX guidlines. Now I'm looking at testing at our PCBA supplier
From my perspective what we want from the PCBA supplier is:
(1) Correct mtrl (PCB and comp according to our spec/BOM)
(2) Solder and components placed in the correct positions on the board
(3) All solder joints ok (IPC610D level 2)
(4) No out-of-spec stress to PCB or comp (main concern heat)
In volume production I can see the following methods/tests to achieve the above points
(1) with good procedures and systems at the PCBA supplier
(2) with AOI
(3) with AOI, (inline) x-ray, cutting PCBA samples
(4) with good procedures and systems at the PCBA supplier
What good does ICT, JTAG testing do as complement to the above? Find screw-ups in (1)? Additional test coverage in (2)?
What other methods are there to verify (3)Capacitive probe testing?
Statement: This post is only the personal view of the author and does not represent the opinions of ALLPCB.com.